Take Note of These Things If You’re an Exchange Student in Japan

You can get fined, or worse, get deported if you don't follow these rules.

In data collected by the Statistics Bureau of Japan in December 2018, there are over 337,000 exchange students in Japan from all over the world—94% of this number comes from Asia. And the rate of exchange students pursuing their career in Japan after graduation is increasing year by year because of the growing
work opportunities offered to foreigners.

If you are an exchange student and you are considering extending your stay to work in Japan, you might want to check on some factors that we will share below to make sure that you have better chances of getting your
working visa approved.

Work Part-time with a Permit

Being a student in a foreign country can be tight on the budget. The good thing is you are allowed to work part-time as long as you get the permit called
Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted in Status of Residence Previously Granted from the Immigration.

Work 28 Hours or Less Per Week

Whether you work several part-time jobs, your total working hours should still be 28 hours in a week. 

Avoid the Restricted Types of Employment

You can work anywhere except in adult entertainment industry such as any kinds of bars, cabarets, pubs, hostess bars, host clubs, gaming centers, mahjong shops, pachinko parlors, “love hotels,” “telephone clubs,” “health” brothels, call girl businesses, “deai kissa,” adult goods stores, adult video stores, private room video shops, and online adult video. 

Working as a janitor, dishwasher, or hall staff is also restricted. You need to be careful of shops similar to adult entertainment such as restaurants with entertainment of customers, and massage parlors with sexual services. Even if the manager tells you it is not the adult entertainment, don’t
blindly believe because it is the police who will make a judgment. Make sure you know what type of job it is you’re applying for.

Attend the Class

Remember that you are still a student, so don’t think twice if you get reluctant of going to your classes just because you got too tired at work. The attendance rate is very important if you are considering to work in Japan after graduation. It is said that the Immigration Bureau of Japan is getting more and more keen on the attendance rate when they change from student visa to any kind of working visa.

Stop Working After Graduation

Simply put, your permit expires right after your graduation or any reason that stops you from being a student.


We wouldn’t want to state the obvious but failing to do so will cause you imprisonment for up to three years or fined up to ¥3,000,000, as well as be subjected to deportation.

If you want to know the detailed Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, click

Created with FORECAST Administrative Scrivener Corporation

 (2 September 2019)

More stories

How do you feel about this article?

Total votes
View more stories tagged ""

Read more stories about


Latest Stories

Load More Stories