Everything You Need to Know About Immigration Procedures for Changing Jobs in Japan

Saying goodbye to your workmates isn't the only step to take.

Depending on various reasons, you may come to a point where you would want or need to change jobs in Japan. In that case, you will have a lot of questions regarding your visa. First, what would happen to your existing
Engineer / Specialist in Humanities / International Services visa? Would you need to do anything at immigration? Here, we will answer these questions to help you go through your job changing process. 

There are a few more things to be done after waving goodbye to your previous workplace.

Will my visa get revoked?

No. Your existing Japanese working visa is valid until it expires, even if you change your employer. As long as your new job still falls under the same criteria as your existing visa, you can still continue working in Japan. Your former employer cannot take your visa away. Double-check your visa expiration and if it will expire within six months, you have to renew it and it is best to discuss this with your new employer.

However, if you resigned and is yet to find a new employer, the Immigration Office in Japan has the power to cut your visa off if you don’t find a new job within three months after you have left your previous job. 

What are the necessary procedures? 

When you quit your job, or start a new job, you are required to let the Immigration know about that change within 14 days. You will need to fill out the
Notice of the Contracting Organization Form which is linked below.

?If you will start the new job right after quitting the previous job, use this form.
?If you have quit your previous job, but have not yet found a new job, use this form.
?If you have found a new job, use this form. 

*Forms are available in English and Japanese only.

You can send this by post to the following address along with a copy of your residence card.

Notification Acceptance Desk
The Residency Management Information Department, the Tokyo Regional
Immigration Bureau 
5-5-30 Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8255

It is best to write “
Enclosed Notification Form” (????? in Japanese) at the front of the envelope in red ink to notify the Immigration.

In recent years, an online system called the E-Notification System has been made available by the Immigration Office. It is available in different languages such as Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, and Filipino. However, to be able to use it, you would need to have an authentication ID issued to you (which can be applied online as well). 


If you missed reporting within 14 days, you must do it the soonest you realized it. There are cases where long term permit status is not issued because of not doing this procedure.

Are there other procedures I need to do? 

Depending on your nationality, there may be other procedures needed when you change jobs in Japan but these are not addressed by the Immigration Bureau of Japan. These are concerns that can be addressed by your country’s embassy in Japan or other authorizing institutions. For this, you must check with your embassy to confirm other needed procedures.

Moreover, if you were a full-time employee from your previous company and the procedures needed for your taxes and insurance were made by them, the transferring procedures should be done by you. If you do not pay them in time, it might affect not only your current visa but also your future chances of obtaining permanent resident status. You can always consult with your previous or new company’s HR team with this matter for better understanding.

 (24 October 2019)

More stories

How do you feel about this article?

Total votes
View more stories tagged ""

Read more stories about


Latest Stories

Load More Stories