This Training Visa Allows You to Experience Work in Japan Up to Five Years

There are two options for you if you want to be an expert in your field.

Photo Pixabay

With Japan’s initiative to promote international cooperation by transferring skills, techniques, and knowledge to developing regions, the
Technical Intern Training visa or Ginou Jishuusei visa has been granted to over 285,776 foreigners as of 2018. The program allows a trainee to acquire skills by first entering Japan with Technical Intern Training (i) residence status, then upgrading to Technical Intern Training (ii) after passing the skills test, which grants them an extension of another two years to enhance their skills.

Trainees who have completed the Technical Intern Training (ii) can still pursue training once they pass the given test to acquire the
Technical Intern Training (iii), which lets them extend their stay in Japan for another two years. However, they will be asked to go back to their home country temporarily before they can proceed to the upgrade. Do take note, though, that upgrading to this type depends on the industry and the Implementing Organization. Hence, for a total of five years, a trainee can stay in Japan and be an expert in their field. 

Last April 2019, the Japanese government has made it even more possible for technical intern trainees to stay longer to work in Japan with the
Specified Skilled Worker program or the Tokutei Ginou. This program is open to foreigners who want to work in Japan as well. If you can prove your knowledge of the Japanese language through a proficiency test, and if you can prove your expertise of any of the 14 specified industrial fields, which will also be proven through a test, you are eligible for the program. With this new program, they will be able to live and work in Japan for as long as five years.

Though this new program is not limited to technical intern trainees, we find that it was made to their advantage, especially those who have completed the Technical Intern Training (ii). Aside from no longer being required to return to their home countries, they are also be exempted to take the skills test.

To sum it up, Technical Intern Training (ii) visa holders now have two options: take the skills test to upgrade to Technical Intern Training (iii) and stay for another two years, or apply for Specified Skilled Worker, take no test, and be able to work in Japan for five years (or more). 

But before we go through all that, allow us to guide you through the process of becoming a
Technical Intern Trainee.


There are two ways to apply as a technical intern trainee: The Individual Enterprise Type (a) where trainees are sent by their company from the Philippines to enhance their skills at a Japan-based subsidiary; and the Supervising Organization Type (b) where a non-profit Japanese organization will accept trainees on behalf of its affiliated enterprise (or so-called Implementing Organization) that has no physical office in your country. In this type, the Supervising Organization would seek the assistance from a local-based Sending Organization to do the recruitment, lessons, visa processing, among others. 96% of the trainees in Japan fall under this type.

1. Apply at your nearest accredited sending organization.

If you are 18 years of age or older, have a passport with more than six months of validity, and do not fall under individual enterprise type, you may then approach a sending organization which luckily, the government of the sending country has made the
list of the accredited organizations publicly posted. Only applicants from any of these accredited sending organizations will be accepted to stamp out malicious brokers. Likewise, for the trainee’s safety and protection, the supervising organization for this program is approved by the Japanese government.

2. Do the paperwork.

Once accepted, you will be working with the sending organization on to accomplishing forms, such as your curriculum vitae, signing of employment contract between you and the implementing organization, and preparing official documents.
Here are some of the documents released by the Organization for Technical Intern Training in Japan. Also, as a requirement for the organizations handling your application, you shall be guided with a thorough explanation if any commissions or fees are to be collected from you such as accommodation expenses. Please note that collection of deposits or imposing penalties are strictly prohibited. 

3. Pre-entry Lectures.

While the sending and supervising organizations are applying for your visa, you will be participating in some lectures prior to your entry, such as learning the basics of the Japanese language, basic information on the day-to-day life in Japan so as to have an idea of what to expect when you arrive in Japan. An extensive lecture will be provided by the supervising organization after your entry to Japan.

4. Prepare for departure.

It will take an estimate of five months until the visa is released if all the preparations go smoothly. By this time, the supervising and implementing organizations should have your travel documents and accommodation upon arrival in Japan.


Does this make you want to move to Japan to explore the work opportunities there? Sound off in the comments below!

For further information about this program, you may check the website of
Japan International Training Cooperation Organization, an organization established for proper and smooth implementation.

Sources: Japan International Training Cooperation Organization and Organization for Technical Intern Training websites.

 (13 August 2019)

More stories

How do you feel about this article?

Total votes
View more stories tagged ""

Read more stories about


Latest Stories

Load More Stories