This Is the Most Common Working Visa in Japan

Most foreign office workers in Japan have this working visa.

Photo Pixabay

The most common type of Japanese working visa is for
Engineers, Specialists in Humanities, and International Services. They are the general type of working visa you can find in Japan as it covers a wide scope of work industries. If a corporation wants to hire a foreigner, this type of visa is issued for the employee. Majority of foreign white-collar workers or office workers in Japan possess this kind of working visa.

If your skills fall under any of these professions, read on below to find out more.

Engineers or Programmers

This visa is for engineers or programmers who have been in their respective fields of expertise for more than ten years, including the years of their study. Aside from education and experience being the top requirements, the issuance of the visa also depends on the work they applied for in Japan. The nature of the work should be related to engineering for the working visa to be granted.

Specialists in Humanities

Those who specialize in humanities are usually graduates of law, economics, or sociology. Their possible occupation in Japan is either a manager or director, accountant, or a job that is mainly into marketing, planning, management, and more. During the time of application, the applicant must also prove that they have been in the field for more than ten years, including the years of their education.

International Services

International services require thought or sensitivity on foreign culture and languages. They are usually translators, interpreters, language teachers, or those who handle overseas trading or product development. Compared to engineers and specialists in humanities, international services only requires three years of experience. College graduates are even accepted in specific job roles without having any experience in the field.

We summarized everything below for your reference.


Specialist in Humanities

International Services

Sample Jobs

?Scientific Engineer




?Production Engineer





?Production Controller

?Quality Controller



?Foreign Language Teacher


?Public Relations



Should be at least a graduate of Junior College with a major related to the work industry.



10 Years

3 Years except for Translator/Interpreter/Language Teacher wherein if you are a college graduate, you are already qualified to apply.

If you think you are qualified for this visa and wish to work in Japan, look for an employer who can offer you a job that falls under the criteria required by the visa. In the context of an exchange student who wants to upgrade their visa, you may follow the same steps by applying for a suitable job that is accepted in the visa.

The validity of the visa varies from three months to five years. The period of validity depends on the employer, the industry, and the job description. You are allowed to renew your visa as long as your work and employer still fit the category. Lastly, if you wish to live and work in Japan permanently, you are eligible to apply for permanent residency.


Are you eligible for this type of visa? What work industry are you interested in exploring in Japan?

More stories

How do you feel about this article?

Total votes
View more stories tagged ""

Read more stories about


Latest Stories

Load More Stories